Monday, October 19, 2009

Senator John Ensign Announces Extramarital Affair June 17, 2009

Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev) announced at a Las Vegas press conference Tuesday that he had an affair with a campaign aide who was married to another Ensign staffer.

“They both worked for me,” said Ensign.

“Last year I had an affair. I violated the vows of my marriage,” said Ensign. “It is the worst thing I have ever done in my life. If there was ever anything in my life that I could take back, this would be it.”

The news was the latest setback for a Republican Party that suffered losses of at least 13 Senate seats in the past two elections.

It was unclear why Ensign decided to disclose the affair Tuesday. He took no questions from reporters at the news conference.

Ensign’s wife, Darlene, also released a statement about the affair.

“Since we found out last year we have worked through the situation and we have come to a reconciliation. This has been difficult on both families. With the help of our family and close friends our marriage has become stronger,” said Mrs. Ensign.

In his statement, Ensign indicated he will not resign his Senate seat, adding, “I know that I have hurt and disappointed my wife, Darlene, my children, my family, friends, my staff and all those who believed in me. To all of them, especially my wife, I am truly sorry.”



Bookmark & Share

No comments:

Post a Comment